Monday, November 06, 2006

I had a heart attack today
It was this afternoon during Logan's snack time. I gave him puffs & sliced avocado to eat for his finger foods. I'm always with him in the kitchen while he eats & it's a really good thing because he started choking.

I saw him start retching & turning red, trying to cry. "Oh my god, Billy!", I gasped. I did a finger sweep & got the food out of his mouth while trying to unbuckle his "seatbelt" at the same time. Bill ran upstairs, Logan started crying & I just kind of stood there for a second.

He was OK, just a little scared. I don't blame him. So was I. I took his avocado & sliced them into even smaller bits. Bill & I stood next to him while he continued to pick up avocado & cram it in to his mouth.

"Are you OK?", Bill asks me. "Yeah", I say half convincing myself & trying to fight back the tears. He gives me a hug.

There's nothing in this world that can scare me as much as Logan being in some kind of danger. I literally felt my heart stop, but I'm thankful that I could act quickly rather than freezing up in fear. Snack time is going to be scary for a little while.

7 comments:

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

OH gosh I'm so glad that he's okay!!! As he gets more teeth it'll be so much easier for him to chew. It sounds like he's doing an excellent job though. Just sometimes that slippery food gets to where it shouldn't be. James has done this multiple times now. And always because he hides food in cheek and then as he gets one more piece,his mouth gets too full and voila, choking. Now we call him our little squirrel.
Again, this will all get easier with each day. Hang in there! ;)

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy! And poor mom. I'm glad he's OK.

Anonymous said...

How scary!! Glad everything is okay!

Corinne said...

Poor lil' man... just remember, as long as he's coughing, he's okay. I have to remind myself that when Shepherd turns red coughing up snacks... it's when he doesn't cough or breathe in that's scary. I've also learned to try not to finger sweep if he's coughing, because one time, I nearly knocked the food down his throat... But don't worry, it does get better...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's okay too. I hate it when that happens and due to Kira being overwhelmingly excited almost all the time, she chokes quite a bit. She tries to laugh or breathe at the same time she's trying to swallow and it doesn't go down very well. :\

Also, does he eat the avocado or just squish it between his fingers? I gave Kira some banana the other day, cut up, and she mashed most of it into her hands and ate very little. LOL. She loves banana though and will happily eat it when I'm feeding it to her.

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Poor mama--I say this because 5 minutes after it happened, he probably didn't even remember. I was "blessed" with a gaggy kid, so I can relate. I still cut grapes into teeny tiny pieces and it was only last month I let him eat raisins. Glad everybody's ok.

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey, I know that feeling!! Amelia choked while we were in Rhode Island (on some potato) and I had to smack her back. I cannot even begin to describe the feeling I got when I saw her little face turning red and her gagging. Ugh. I am so glad Logan is OK!! And you too :)