Saturday, November 18, 2006

This is just ridiculous
So ridiculous that I had to post about it. What is going on in this world??? Why is breast feeding so offensive? It just blows my mind that something so natural, healthy & beneficial; something that has nourished human kind since the BEGINNING OF TIME is "offensive".

I knew that I wanted to breast feed Logan from the start. Fortunately, it came easy for us & we've been going strong. I hope to continue until he's between 12 & 18 months old.

In our months of nursing, I've had some "comments" about breast feeding (mostly from family). I'm relieved we haven't been humiliated in public. But then again, I actually go out of my way to find a private spot to breast feed Logan. Not because I'm ashamed, but because if anyone said something negative to me about it, I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut.

When we're out & Logan needs to nurse, I hang out in the car or find a "mother's room" if there is one. We've been to the zoo & I nursed him under a blanket by the monkeys. When we went on vacation this summer, I nursed him on the plane. So far, so good. No comments from the public & no glaring looks either.

Logan & I will be flying out to Portland to see my sisters & meet Baby M for Thanksgiving in a couple of days. The flight times are crazy (so we could maximize our time there) & Logan will have to nurse on the flight & in the airport. I'm a little nervous because Bill won't be able to come with us. He starts his new job the day we fly out. I hope our successful nursing in public streak continues.

However, that fact that this is even a concern is stupid. Why do Mother's have to think about what may happen if they need to feed their babies in public? The rest of the world thinks the US is insane because it's an issue. Mother's in Norway don't have to think twice about it.

I just don't get it. I really don't.

There is a petition from Moms Rising to help support Mother's rights to breast feed in public. I signed it & I hope all of the other blogging Moms will sign it too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, it's really nuts how people here get offended. I'll never ever understand it either. And you made another great point- it's the US for the most part that can't handle seeing women do it. Something does need to change. It's ridiculous for sure.

Erin said...

Oh oh oh!!! I totally sympathize!

I flew to Puerto Rico with Cal by myself when he was 4-months-old (which in retrospect required way more guts than I thought I had). I had to breastfeed him on the toilet in the Miami airport. It was gross and I felt totally shunned.

Sorry, Kristin. I hope it works out okay for you. You should be proud of breastfeeding Nolan like you have. Good luck!

Erin said...

Whoops. Excuse my mild dyslexia. I said "Nolan" when I meant "Logan." Wish I could delete, but instead I'll just apologize.

Hannah said...

Thank you for this post! I just read a fabulous article in a back issue of "Mothering" magazine about how we do NOT love in a breastfeeding culture.

My MIL keeps asking me if I'm still nursing and thinks I should give my 7 month old whole milk. She arrives tomorrow for a week and I know I'm going to hear more of her "advice." All I can say is, good for you! And yay for 12-18 months. I am think along that same time frame and my family (including hubby) thinks it's too long. I just joined an extending breastfeeding group on Yahoo if you're interested!

I just posted about how a woman was kicked off a plane last week for nursing her baby without a blanket. Can you believe that?

Sorry about the long comment!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you! I will be signing the petition as well.

I've nursed Ava everywhere.. I don't care what ppl have to say. I did however buy a nursing cover at www.bebeaulait.com It wraps around your neck and is better at keeping you from getting exposed then a blanket. My issue is that I'm not ashamed of breastfeeding Ava, but rather, I don't want everyone else seeing my tata's!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

This is OUTRAGEOUS. I nursed D everywhere and almost never covered up, since he would grab the blanket and always make things worse. Plus, after giving birth in front of 7-10 people, I could give a shit who sees my boobs.

I wonder if it's because the child was so much older--?? I mean, I am a HUGE BF advocate, and I hate to admit that seeing a two-ish toddler being nursed in public freaks me out a little, but it does. I'm not saying that's an excuse or anything for this dumbass airline, but it might have factored into the decision.

My prediction? Freedom and Delta will settle this shit in a hurry. I mean, the flight operates from Burlington, VT, where I am pretty sure citizens are automatically assumed to be attachment parenting until stated otherwise, and it was a colossal mistake to have that happen there. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Anonymous said...

Breastfeed where you want. I read somewhere that you should always counter moronic comments abour your right to breastfeed with your BABY's right to EAT. Fair 'nuff. I too could care less who sees my boobs now: they're a food source, and while I'm not flashing them around (I'm more modest than, say, Janet Jackson, or Tara Reid) I'm not going to go to absurd lengths to HIDE them, as though it's something to be ashamed of. I'm NOT ashamed of my breasts, and there will be hell to pay for anyone who tries to make me feel ashamed. I'm sending you good boobie vibes. Good luck.