Thursday, November 09, 2006

Researching
After Logan woke up from his nap yesterday afternoon, he seemed to be a little bit better. So, at Bill's urging, we went to playgroup. Logan wasn't himself, clingy & mostly sitting in my lap. It wasn't like last week where he roamed around, climbing on the other Moms. He even was fussy & stayed a bit grumpy. We got home & it was like night & day. He was back to himself. Thank God.

Bill & I had another discussion about his vaccinations after he went to bed. We have different views on the subject & it's difficult to compromise. What we have in common is that we both want what's best for Logan & we're both concerned.

Bill is all about conventional medicine & believes everything that he's told. He doesn't question anything. I, on the other hand, question everything. I research. I'm involved in health care decisions. I get second & sometimes even third opinions. I work things out in my head until I know that I'm making an educated, rational & ultimately, the best decision.

Before Logan was born, or even a twinkle in our eyes, I had been involved in pro & anti-vaccination education for myself. I worked in chiropractic & read many articles & papers on the subject. I researched the topic even more when Logan was about to get his 2nd month shots.

I didn't want to do go through with it, but after talking with his first pediatrician & compromising with Bill, Logan got all of his scheduled vaccinations. He ended up having a reaction that was reported to VAERS.

At his 4th month check-up & a new pediatrician, we talked about his reaction. I told her that initially I wanted to do single dose shots & was told that it wasn't an option. I was very worried about Logan going through another reaction. She was awesome. She said that we could do single doses & was willing to work with us on a personalized vaccination schedule for Logan. She figured that it was DTaP-HBV-POL (Diptheria, Tetanus, acellular Pertussis, Hepatitis B, Polio) combo. We did a single shot for DT (Diptheria, Tetanus). Logan was fine & didn't have any reactions.

Because of our insurance coverage mess & the move, Logan missed his 6th month check-up & the subsequent vaccinations. Now we're picking up where we left off with a new clinic. I'm not at all worried that he missed his shots. I'm a fan of delayed & spaced out vaccinations. Bill is on the other end.

My only worry is that we don't know what caused Logan's reaction. So every time he gets a shot, it's like playing Russian roulette. The only way to figure out what shots work for him & what ones don't is trial & error. This doesn't make me very comfortable. Bill is worried about what would happen if Logan contracted one of these diseases.

Now I'm doing more research. More specific anyway. I'm looking into all reported cases of these diseases in our state. Then I'll find the reported cases of reactions (which may be challenging because most of them don't get reported). I'll break them down into statistics to weigh out the pro's & con's. It's looking like it will be quite a bit of work. But, Logan's health is worth it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Kristin!

I just wanted to delurk and let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog! We're hoping to start a family soon, and your insight, honest, insights to being a mom are very much appreciated.

I also wanted to pass along a link to the National Vaccine Information Center: http://www.nvic.org/ (though you may have already found it), and some other links:
http://www.nmaseminars.com/Tenpenny.html
http://www.mothering.com/sections/experts/tenpenny-archive.html
http://www.mothering.com/sections/experts/fisher-archive.html

Mothering.com, the website for Mothering Magazine, also has several discussion boards that may be of interest:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/

Again, thanks for your blog!

liz said...

I hope Logan's feeling better right quick and the crankypants get put away!
Good for you for being so thorough in your research and talking with Bill about what's best for your family...
I admire your resourcefulness!

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

Aw it's great to hear that Logan is feeling better now!!

Anonymous said...

Quite honestly, I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. The risks are miniscule (and yes, I have done considerable research) to vaccinations. The idea that unvaccinated people are NOT riding on the coattails of the rest of us is outrageous. OF COURSE they are riding on our coattails. If it makes them feel better to say they are not, ok, whatever, but don't go argue about it.

I sympathize with Logan crying for a day after shots, but as a parent, I think we have to keep our cool and take responsible actions even when their tough. Babies will cry and we don't do our kids any favors by "protecting" them from any pain.

Kristin said...

Anonymous 8:48a-
I think you're missing the fact that Logan HAD a reaction that was reported. I went ahead with a full immunization on his 2nd month check-up & we was in a semi-coma for a week. With the consultation of his Doctor on the 4th month check-up, we narrowed it down to a specific vaccination.

So, while the risk is "miniscule", it happened & the risk of it happening again is increased & the severity is increased as well.

Since he had a reaction, I really don't think I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

Anonymous said...

I think you're doing a great job Kristin. He is your child and you know what's best for him regardless of what other people think! Knowledge is power - so do all the research you want!

Erin said...

Hey Kristin,

Tough decision. Wish I had something helpful to say, but I'll just have to stick with this: Trust yourself. You know Logan better than anyone in the world; you're smart & knowledgeable; you will make the best possible decision based on all available resources.

From getting to know you on this blog, it's obvious you are a loving and competant mom.

Corinne said...

as for the vaccinations, that's "to each his own" in my book. As far as the playgroup stuff? Sounds like the beginnings of stranger anxiety. We've had that happen with Shepherd lately at church. normally he LOVES (like, loves loves LOVES) the nursery. But he's been more hesitant, clingy, and what not... and he hasn't had shots recently. At home, he's his normal self and bubbly and cheerful. So, I just wanted to encourage you that the playgroup stuff might not be a reaction to his shots, but more along the lines of the Stranger Anxiety. :) Hopefully you guys will get the vaccination stuff figured out (especially since he had a reaction)... it sounds like you have a good Ped who's willing to work with you. :) So chin-up, girl... I wish I was close by to cheer you up... sounds like you guys have had a load of heavy stuff to deal with lately... so just know that I'm thinking of you....