Sunday, May 07, 2006

Confessions of a bad mother.
Yesterday Logan had his first taste of something other than breast milk. While I was at the computer writing one of the books, I was eating some pineapple & Logan was behind me in his seat that I made him out of a boppy pillow & blanket on the futon. He was playing with his book & chewing on it, then smiling at me as he watched me eat pieces of pineapple. Then I got the evil "I'm not supposed to do this" look on my face. I got a little bit of pineapple juice on the fork & put it on his lips. He had the funniest look on his face while smacking his lips. I couldn't stop laughing! So of course I had to do it a few more times. Then when Bill got home from work, I told him what a bad mom I was & then he had to see Logan's pineapple face for himself. He really likes pineapple. After he was finished licking his lips, he would shove his fist back into his mouth so he smelled like pineapple for the rest of the night. I guess there are worse things to smell like.

Since I'm coming clean on letting him taste things that he shouldn't be tasting yet, I'll go ahead & come clean on everything else:
  • Turning off the baby monitor to let him cry it out (or more like fuss it out) for a few minutes because I'm so tired I don't even want to think about getting up.
  • He wants to start the day at 6 or 7 am. That's just way too early for me so after I feed him I bring him back to bed in the guest bedroom & we sleep in for a few more hours together. He sleeps really well when he's cuddled in my arms.
  • Leaving him to entertain himself on the floor with his gym while I go & make myself breakfast. Getting myself fed has become more of a priority than early morning play time.
  • Waiting too long to file his fingernails. I usually forget until I notice that he's scratched himself.
  • Not being a germaphobe when it comes to his binky falling on the floor. I'll brush it off, but I don't sanitize it every time.
  • Letting him touch the cat (well, he doesn't reach out for her yet, but Bill has put the cat's tail in Logan's hand to teach him how to pull her tail & I didn't yell at him).
  • While I nurse him during the day I'll watch T.V. at the same time. When Logan is finished, he'll turn around to watch it with me. I don't turn it off & we'll watch T.V. together.
  • Letting him take naps in his swing. He's been able to take naps in his crib, but often times he'll fall asleep in his swing & I'll leave him there while I work on the books.
Wow, that seems like a long list. It's a good thing he's a pretty happy & healthy baby, otherwise I just might feel bad for doing all of that.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing wrong with these at all... I do most of them myself! I'm a worse mother because my baby's only 4 weeks old.

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

I felt like that list could also be called, "also things that Dawn does with her son"...ROTFLMAO
Oh gosh..and this is so horrible- about the binky situation.. I've stooped so low as to pick it up and put it in my mouth quick..and VOILA!!! clean.. *embarrassed*

Avorie said...

How funny. We gave Lilly a drop of grape juice for her first Shabbat dinner. She made quite a face!

I've done several of the "bad mother" things on your list. I don't think it makes you a bad mother - just a real one. Especially with the pacifier. In a few weeks/months, he'll be putting everything in his mouth and they won't be steralized. So, if the binki falls on the floor, big deal.

Canadian Mommy said...

no bad mommy there! you are normal! it's funny what you think you would NEVER do, until you actually have the baby!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Wait until he's a toddler. I've traded in my nitrate-free turkey hotdogs for ballparks, allow him to have the paci WAAAY too much, and am considering trying to figure out how to spray vitamins on goldfish crackers. I've TRIED to get him to watch TV with no luck. How sad is that? Oh, and I sometimes also let him sit in his own poop for almost an hour at the end of the day because "it's *almost* bathtime."

Your list cracked me up. I think D affiliated the "West Wing" theme music with eating because I'd aways watch it. It's a wonder he doesn't start salivating when promos for it come on!

liz said...

if these things make you a bad mother, then i'm screwed! :-)

Anonymous said...

Let's see, that entire list is me! Well, except for the letting them cry thing. Not that I wouldn't, but our house is TINY. No need for a baby monitor, and the crying would drive me insane if I ignored it. There's nowhere to hide!

My youngest tasted grape popsicle at 1 week old, thanks to his older brother. And I gave him alfredo sauce when he was 2 months old.

This is my first visit here. I enjoy your writing!