Friday, May 26, 2006

Little Houdini.
Logans' sleeping habits are driving me nuts! He's not sleeping through the night at all & quite frankly, I've given up on the idea. We went to the chiropractor yesterday & their massage therapist has a 4 month old as well. She asked about how many times he gets up. "On a bad night, like this week. Six. On a good night. Three." She told me to start feeing him solids. Um, hello? I've never met you before & you don't know that he has food sensitivities already. Thanks for trying to be his pediatrician. Besides, giving him solids isn't going to guarantee he'll sleep through the night. Plus, I think it's very selfish to feed him solids before he's ready just so I can sleep more. Lack of sleep is part of the deal when you have a baby. So is sacrifice.

I told her that he won't start solids for a while & she asked what I was feeding him. "He's exclusively breast fed". She then looked me up & down like, "really?" Now, I know people are going to give advice wether I like it or not. Usually it doesn't bother me. But for some reason, I wanted to punch this lady. I felt like this because: A. She's telling me something I already know. And: B. Don't look at me like breast feeding is bad. It's a good thing I kept my mouth shut, or we wouldn't have been allowed back to the office.

Logans' sleeping schedule has been getting better though. His bedtime is 8 pm & we're usually on top of it unless I've lost track of time because we're focused on rolling over. His naps are more scheduled now at 10 am & between 3 & 4 pm, respectively. His naps are short though, only sleeping for 20-30 minutes. In a miracle sleep, sometimes he'll stay down for an hour. But again, this is a miracle. He's sleeping in his crib all of the time, except for the couple of times that I let him fall asleep in his Boppy chair on the futon. For the most part he wakes up happy & ready to play. I know he's awake because I can hear him kicking the mattress instead of crying. The problems are happening when he's getting to sleep.

At night, I'll get him dressed, read him a story or two & sing him a few lullabies. Occasionally (much less often now than in the past weeks) he'll realize what's going on when I start to sing & he freaks out. He's been better about this though. Once he's calm, relaxed & drowsy but awake; I'll put him down, giving him his binky & swaddling him. This is where I'm at a loss.

I swaddle him because he always has his hands in his mouth & when he's trying to get to sleep, he gets frustrated that his hands are there & not his binky. So essentially, I use the swaddle like a baby straight jacket that keeps his hands down & his binky in his mouth. He's so freaking strong though it doesn't matter how tight I swaddle him, he still gets out. This process of swaddle, leave & then hear him cry, swaddle, leave & a few minutes later....crying; goes on for 30 minutes. He eventually falls asleep in his swaddle & stays that way until about 9:30-12:00, sometimes until 1 or 2 am.

He's pretty good in the middle of the night after he's nursed. He'll wake up at 2 or 3 am to eat, then I get him swaddled again. It seems he has an automatic response to grabbing his feet when he's on his back, so I have to straighten his legs while getting his arms down & trying to wrap him at the same time. On a bad night, he'll wake up 30 minutes later because he's escaped. So then the process starts all over again. There are times now that I just let him cry it out. If he's fed, changed & just being a little Houdini, I'll let him cry until he either gets hysterical or he's been crying for 20-30 minutes.

He wakes up again somewhere between 5 & 6 am & won't go back to bed. He's usually awake & ready to start the day, but I'm not even close to coming out of my sleep deprived coma. This is when I nurse him & co-sleep in the guest bedroom, where once we are cuddled up together, he will go back to bed. He'll stay asleep until 8 am or, if he wants to sleep in, 10 am. Then the escape artistry will happen at nap time as well.

His sleeping habits are really testing my patients. I'm starting to wonder if they really make baby straight jackets, because this seems like the only solution at this point. I figured that I would stop swaddling him when he's not shoving his hands in his mouth & when he's totally mobile (because he's not rolling over in his crib yet & I thought it was recommended that he continues to be swaddled until he's moving around in there). I told Bill that I really don't know what to do at this point & if he continues to be like this, I'm going to duct tape his hands to his sides (I'm kidding. sort of).

9 comments:

Reesh said...

Every baby is different, but I find that Lily sleeps better now without her hands being swaddled. In fact she hates having her arms covered at all, even by the blankets. She sleeps most nights with her arms above her head. We seem to have solved all issues of lack of sleep for me by just sleeping with her all night. Of course that will lead to more exciting problems in the future I'm sure. Babies and sleep, it's the number one topic of discusion between parents and I don't seriuosly believe there is one right way of doing things, just a whole lot of trial and error till you find what works best for you.

Anonymous said...

Stupid question--why are you swaddling him? Why not let him stick his hands in his mouth if that's what he wants? Really, I'm not trying to be snarky here, I'm really asking seriously. Neither of my boys could stand being swaddled. The burrito thing just didn't work for us at all, ever. As a matter of fact, they slept on their tummies. Drew from about 6 weeks on, and Nick right from birth.

Kristin said...

Alissa-
I swaddle him because he won't go to sleep if he isn't. He gets upset when he wakes up & escapes from his swaddle & his hands are in his mouth, rather than crying from being wrapped up with his binky. However, I decided to give it a shot & not wrap him or give him his binky tonight. I just let him keep his hands in his mouth & wrapped his legs. Really, what did I have to lose? Besides, the joke in our house is that we'll have to get bigger blankets because at this rate, he's going to be swaddled until he's 15.

It wasn't going to work. He cried, like usual. But, other than cry it out for long periods of time, I didn't know how to get him back to sleep. With the way we were doing it before, I would re-wrap him & give him his binky back. This time all I could do was just turn on his mobile, which he talked to for a while, but didn't go to sleep.

After hearing him cry for a while, I went in & swaddled him, gave him his binky & he went out like a light.

So the problem is him escaping & getting upset about it, not getting upset from being swaddled. I guess I'll know when to stop when the time comes. Because I tried it out tonight & now's not the time.

ezri.blue said...

I didn't swaddle Kira either, from about week 2 onward, she just hated it. Have you tried one of those sleeping bags, but not put his arms through the armholes maybe? Admittedly I don't have the sleeping problems so I'm not really sure if my idea will work, but maybe is worth a try? :)

I'm with you on the duct tape thing though!

Anonymous said...

Gotcha. Poor little guy. It must be hard to be so frustrated and tired and not be able to do anything about it.

Perhaps the duct tape would work. You could just tape the swaddle together!

Canadian Mommy said...

I have so been there! Claire had her issues with sleep too. For some reason she wouldn't fuss as much if I swaddled her with her arms out. I don't know if that will help you or not. She was doing almost exactly what you described. I still swaddled TIGHT around her belly and legs, but her hands out.
Whatever you do, it will be over soon. It will pass like all the other stages of babyhood! Oh, and I would have been pretty rude to that lady too. She doesn't know you! I hated stupid comments on feeding fromt other people. Someone told me to put cereal in her bottle (she got one per night of pumped milk) to help her sleep! UH, CHOKING HAZARD MUCH?

Unknown said...

Amelia loves being swaddled, too. I don't know when we'll get her out of this habit! I don't usually swaddle her while she's napping, but then again, a lot of her naps are snug in her carseat while I'm running errands or in her baby snugli while I'm walking.

I have to commend you... I would have been tempted to b!tch slap that woman! It is a major pet peeve of mine when people try to tell me I should feed my daughter something besides breast milk.

liz said...

When Henry was getting up several times a night and we weren't getting restfull sleep, my mother suggested an 11pm bed time rather than his customary 8:00pm bedtime.
And wouldn't you know it: now he sleeps straight through until around 6 or 7:00am.

Avorie said...

We haven't swaddled Lilly since she was a couple weeks old. At first, she would scratch up her face, so we put her in night gowns that have fold-over sleeves. Now she likes the suck on her fingers, but can't fall asleep without the binki. Unfortunately her fingers get in the way sometimes, but it works out okay. We just have to do "binki duty" for a while when we put her to bed. She's pretty good at putting herself back to sleep during the night and just wakes up once now.

Have you tried Logan in the fold-over hand PJ's? Just a suggestion...