Saturday, May 06, 2006

He's baaaaack.
Mr. Fussy Fuss had decided to come back for another visit. He's not that much fun to hang out with. Ever since Logan has gone through his growth spurt last week, everything is all amuck. He's back to eating every 3 hours, but his sleep schedules suck. He won't take his naps & gets really grumpy because he's so tired. Then when I try to get him bed at night, he puts up a major fight.

Thursday night after it took 45 minutes to get him to bed, he woke up every hour, sometimes every 30 minutes. It was the night from hell. We were supposed to go to the chiropractor & run all sorts of errands the next day, but I decided it wasn't a good idea to get behind the wheel with such sleep deprivation. It was a rainy day too, so that really would've made me fall asleep while driving.

Friday night wasn't much better. Again, he didn't want to nap during the day & it took forever to get him to sleep. This night was worse than the night before. He knows when it's bedtime & when I turn out the light to sit in the rocking chair & sing him some lullabies, he has a total freak out. He was screaming like his arms & legs were getting ripped off. I couldn't take it much longer & just put him in his crib screaming bloody murder & left for 10 minutes or so. After I took a deep breath, I went back in & picked him up, burped him (because he swallowed a ton of air while in the midst of his fit) & kept him in his swaddle while I sat & rocked him again. He finally got to sleep, but his pattern was like the night before. Up every hour or so. There were times that I just turned off the baby monitor & let him cry it out for a few minutes. When he wouldn't stop after 20 minutes, I would go in & take care of him.

All day Saturday he was fussy. His napping pattern was getting better, but not much. In the late afternoon after I fed, changed & played with him, he was still fussy. I decided it was time to just let him hang out in his bouncer & I would take a break in the shower. He did ok, until I got out. Then he was fussy again. By this time I was fed up with his attitude & turned around & told him "You've been fed, you have a clean diaper on, we played & you're still a little grump. I'm right here, so if you're going to be fussy, too bad. I have to brush my teeth". He fussed a little bit more & then was quiet. I turned around & he had his hand wrapped in his burp cloth & shoved in his mouth.

I've been doing a little research & I've read a couple of things about this kind of behavior. He may be getting ready for a major milestone, like laughing or something physical, like rolling over. It's like an adult who's getting ready for a major presentation at work & can't sleep because they are constantly thinking about it. Or like a kid who can't sleep because they are so excited to go to Disney Land the next morning. So, Logan could be planning out his next moves.

The other theory is that he's teething. He's been drooling, munching on his hands & anything else he can get in his mouth. I just thought he found his hands & has been fascinated with them. I haven't noticed swollen gums or tooth buds erupting, but I guess this could go on for a few months if he is teething. Yea. How exciting.

This night he was much better getting to sleep, just fighting it a little bit. The miracle was staying asleep for more than an hour. I only had to get up once to re-swaddle him & give him his binky. I hope we're getting back on track.

2 comments:

Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

Yeah! It does sound like he's getting ready for something. Because James goes through this from time to time (and boy oh boy was it fun when he was colicky from 3 weeks onto 3 months old..*sigh*) I would give him some tylenol for his growth spurts. Cause I realized, "wow, that's gotta be achey with all of his little bones growin' like that". It sounds like you're doing everything you can. This is only coming from someone who has a 5 month old (not alot of experience under my belt yet..lol).

Jack's Mommy said...

Jack went through something similar at 4 months ... he was in such a great routine until he hit the 4 month mark - then the wheels fell off! It's taken me a month to get him back on track....
I have spent hours at http://www.babywhisperer.com/smf/ trying to figure out WHY and how to deal with it ....