Thursday, May 04, 2006

Tips from a personal trainer.
I have received many emails asking about my nutrition plan, mommy/baby workout & the infant workout as well. I don't want to divulge the nitty gritty on the blog because I'm writing 3 different books on the subjects. Then, I'm also strapped for cash & this is what I do (did) for a living. If anyone wants specifics, email me & we'll talk shop. Tips are definitely cool though.

First let me start off with my qualifications. I've been a personal trainer for 3 years with a large corporate gym. I'm certified though NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) & I'm also certified through Apex for nutritional & supplement education. This qualifies my programs to be approved Level 1 weight control programs & in compliance with goals & recommendations of the American Dietetic Association for weight management.

Prior to becoming a personal trainer, I worked in chiropractic for 4 years. I studied Chiropractic Biophysics & apply rehab & biomechanical education to my workout programs. I also did patient fitness programs to restore function to the body & weight loss to help with joint pain. I became certified through Pneumex, a physical therapy technique that helped to correct scoliosis, improved neurological function for those who had suffered trauma (like a stroke) & also used it for improving sports performance (I don't do golf training though).

I've trained clients for marathons in power walking, running, cycling & swimming. I've also trained guys for baseball, lacrosse, soccer, mountain biking, rock climbing, martial arts & ultimate fighting (not televised celebrities). I don't train anyone for body building or fitness competitions, because it's just not my thing.

I've had many successes with my clients, from loosing 80 lbs in 6 months, to recovery after hip replacement surgery in only 3 weeks. I myself had lost 30 lbs in 2 months, Bill lost close to 90 lbs in a year & now I can add my post-pregnancy success as well.



So now that you all know that I'm not just some meat head, here are some tips:

First, it's all about nutrition. Without getting into boring science or a long drawn out post, it comes down to calories in vs. calories out. If you eat too much & sit around, expect to gain weight (the wrong kind). If you eat as much as you burn, don't expect to change shape. If you burn more calories than you eat...weight loss! You also want a "zen" aproach to your macronutrients (carbs, protein & fats). Think balance. Don't fall into the low carb crap. Your body needs them, especially if you are a breast feeding, busy, working out mom. Speaking of busy moms, don't buy processed foods. Even though they may be easy, they are nothing but junk. Think about that "zen" aproach & go for whole foods. If it's in a box, can or jar, it's not that good for you. Be careful to not drink your calories. Fruit juice might sound healthy, until you look at the sugar content & the amount of calories per serving. Stick with water & make sure you drink close to a gallon of it everyday.

Cardio is the next focus. Again, there is a lot of science in this as well, like knowing your target heart rate, but to keep it short you can do the talk test. If you're working out & you can't talk, you're working too hard & burning the wrong kind of calories. If you can carry on a full conversation, you're wasting your time. You want to be able to say a few words while walking, running, cycling, or whatever you're doing for cardio. You need to do cardio for 30 minutes everyday, at least!

Next is weight training, or resistance training. This is something that most women don't do because it's intimidating & they fear they're going to get big. Weight training doesn't make you big, calories do. Last year I had a goal of adding 10 lbs of muscle. I had to eat 3,200 calories a day in order to get that. Even then, I didn't get big, I got ripped. So, as long as your nutrition is in check, weight training will make your muscles more dense (tone) & it will increase your metabolism. When it comes to working out at home with your baby, you need a full body routine. Think push, pull, squat. Bent knee push-ups, bent over baby rows & baby squats are a great way to start. Don't forget your core, which is a whole different ball game. It's more than crunches. If you work the "inside" of your abs (core) before the outside (like with crunches), you'll get better strength & definition (& you'll loose the mommy tummy).

Then there's supplementation. This can get crazy with information, but the bottom line is, moms need a prenatal or multivitamin. Calcium will help with bone density & weight loss as well. To speed things up, caffeine (in moderation) can do the trick. I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning to jump start my day (especially after being sleep deprived from the night before). Logan isn't affected by it as long as I just stick to coffee with breakfast.

Last but not least, variety. Your body is a very smart & adaptive organism. Just think about how much you would enjoy eating the same thing everyday. You would get pretty sick of it & never eat those foods again. Your body is the same way with exercise. Most people see results with new routines in about 4-6 weeks, then they stop working out. Why? Because they hit a plateau & they don't see anymore change, thus loosing motivation. There are a million different ways to create variety in a workout routine. Remember, if your mind is bored, your body is too.



There are the tips from the trainer. I hoped that helped some of you out a bit. I'll keep writing the books for detail & hey, if anyone wants a long distance trainer, you know how to email me.

2 comments:

Canadian Mommy said...

OMG! Thank you sooo much for posting this today. While I still have 11 weeks of pregnancy left, I really gotta change my life after I deliver. I am about 60 lbs overweight when I am at a pre-preg weight. Perhaps your book will be done by the time I am over my recovery period and I can get to work! I have a treadmill at home, and you just inspired me to walk today. Cause if I don't start now, I will have a harder time starting later!

Kristin said...

Yea Beth! That's so cool!
Just think of all of the energy you'll have when you are taking care of your new little boy & chasing after Clair at the same time :)